Friday, March 22, 2013

Coke vs. Natural Energy

I know an 18 year old who has kicked his Coca-Cola habit, today I started thinking about my own habit, and wondered why I can't kick the habit too.  I mean really, if an 18 yr old can do it, I should be able to do it also!

I get migraines, I don't like to take migraine medication, so I keep Coke in my fridge, the caffeine usually takes of the edge.

Today, I woke up knowing I was heading for a migraine, my first instinct was to grab for that Ice cold Coke, but I didn't.  Instead, I reached for a packet of Matcha. (More about Matcha in a bit).

Here's what I noticed:  Within minutes of drinking the Matcha, I felt the same as if I had drank a Coke, my energy was boosted and my headache started to go away.

This got me thinking, so I started researching Coke, you may already know some of these facts, but I'm going to tell you about them anyway, for the sake of comparison!




Americans ingest 1.7 million tons -- or 10.8 pounds per person -- of sugar each year from Coca-Cola alone

Coke:
39 grams of sugar in one can.
The average American drinks 399 servings of Coke products per year (not necessarily Coke itself) and 63% of those products are actually Classic Coke.  This equals 125.7 servings per person.  So, at 39 grams of sugar per Coke the average American is consuming 4.9 kilograms of sugar per year, which is equivalent to 10.8 lbs.  That's GROSS.....and we wonder why Americans are clinically obese?

(these facts were found HERE)

So, what happens if you drink a Coke every day?
-An 8 year study of 90,000 women showed that after 4 years you will gain 10 lbs
-You will have a 40% higher chance of getting Diabetes 2
-After 4 yrs you will have a 25% higher chance of developing high blood sugar
-After 4 yrs you will have a 32% higher chance of lowering your good cholesterol
-If you drink 2+ sugary beverages per day you will have a 40% higher risk of a Heart Attack

(this info. and more can be found HERE)

Anything good about Coke?
Well, caffeine stimulates the brain and can help improve performance.  It tastes good, especially on a hot day, or with pizza and burgers.  It has a nice fizzy sound when you open it......

After reading these facts, and more, I wondered why I ever started drinking it in the first place.  I've heard all of these facts before, but somehow, when I researched them myself it hit home.

Now....on to Matcha, I had to get the Coke information out of the way first!


 

Matcha:
If you're a reader of this blog you may have read about Matcha in a different post HERE.

But, here are some facts for the sake of comparison
-Unicity Bios Life Matcha is a high-end green tea containing 20 times more antioxidants than the açai berry.
-Does not contain artificial caffeine or other stimulants

According to Thomas Cutler, Ph.D. and Chief Science Officer of Unicity, “Bios Life Matcha is a unique product that delivers health and vitality while having a minimal impact on blood glucose levels. It also tastes great. It becomes the perfect companion to Bios Life Slim in your product portfolio.”

What happens if you drink Matcha every day?
You will have increased energy plus the added value of antioxidants
You will NOT have the common crash that so often happens after drinking caffeine

Matcha is indeed very green, and some people say it tastes like 'hay'!  It is definitely something you need to get used to, but it really does not taste bad.  It is extremely good mixed with very cold water and ice!

The before mentioned 18 yr old loves it, as do my 18 and 16 yr old kids, that should speak for itself.

The info. on Matcha was taken from Unicity's website, and you can access more information HERE

...and HERE's the link to a previous post explaining more on Unicity's Matcha


I'd love to hear any more Coke, or soda stories you may have!

**If you're interested in a sample let me know and I'll send you one! **




No comments:

Post a Comment